Sip + Celebrate 2017
compiled by Lillian Roth
After a year like 2017, we all deserve a cocktail. These six delicious and fun drinks are perfect for any of the events on your holiday social calendar. From rich hot chocolate to chic pear martinis, you will be the host of the year if you add these libations to the menu. Join the Truth + Dare team as we sip and celebrate 2017.
1.5 cup milk
1 cup red wine (try Kendall-Jackson Cab Sav)
⅓ cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and chocolate chunks. Whisking constantly until chocolate is melted into milk and you have a thick and creamy chocolate milk.
- Pour in red wine and heat until everything is hot. Pour into 6 glasses and enjoy!
2 bottles Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
3/4 cup sparkling apple cider
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cranberries, halved
3/4 cup cranberries, whole
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
3 rosemary sprigs
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and stir together with a large wooden spoon to help the sugar dissolve.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve chilled or over ice.
1/4 cup gin
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp rosemary simple syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 sprig rosemary. Boil water until sugar dissolves, remove from heat, add rosemary and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Remove rosemary and refrigerate simple syrup)
2 Tbsp pomegranate juice
Club soda, chilled
Rosemary sprigs and pomegranate arils for garnish
- Mix gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and pomegranate juice in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously 10-12 times then pour over ice in a lowball glass.
- Top with club soda and stir gently.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a large spoonful of pomegranate arils!
1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
1 cup agave silver tequila
1 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau
1 bottle (750 mL) champagne (about 3 cups)
lime wedges and coarse salt or sugar to rim the glasses
Optional: additional sweetener such as sugar, honey, agave, etc.
- Stir the lime juice, tequila and Triple Sec together to make your margarita base.
- Prepare your champagne glasses by running a lime wedge around the rim, and then dipping the glasses in coarse salt or sugar.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of margarita mixture into the champagne glass, and fill the rest of the glass up with champagne. Or if using a different glass, you need a ratio of about 1/3 cup margarita mixture to 1/2 cup champagne.
- If desired, stir in a teaspoon or two of sweetener to sweeten each glass. Enjoy!
Vanilla Plum Shrub (non-alcoholic):
- 1 cup plums, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod reserved
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar, unfiltered
- 12-20 oz club soda
- Place the plums in a glass jar or glass container with an air tight lid along with the sugar and the seeds of the vanilla bean. Using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, mash the fruit until it is fully incorporated with the sugar. Add the vanilla beans seeds & pod.
- In a small sauce pan bring vinegar to a gentle simmer. Pour the vinegar over the plum mixture and seal tightly. Shake the mixture a couple of times and refrigerate for 24 hours or up to a week depending on how strong you want the flavor to be.
- When ready to serve, strain the fruit mixture using a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth.
- Mix equal parts shrub (the plum-vinegar mixture) with club soda over ice. Add more or less to your liking. Serve and Enjoy!
- 1 ½ oz. St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
- 1 ½ oz. Pear Vodka
- Chilled Champagne
- Granulated sugar for the rim
- 1 lemon, wedged
- 1 pear, sliced
- Prepare your garnishes by slicing a lemon into wedges and the pear into rounds.
- Tip: To prevent pear from discoloring, squeeze a lemon over cut slices.
- To prepare martini glasses, run a lemon wedge around the rim and dip into sugar.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine St. Germain and Pear Vodka. Shake vigorously until well chilled.
- Strain into prepared martini glass and top with champagne.
- Garnish with a round of pear and a festive stir stick. Sip and enjoy!